Saturday, March 20, 2010

Field trip to tidal power plant!

I'm a design person, not an architect or engineer.

But as you know, you can not survive being good at only one thing unless you're a genius.
and since I'm not a genius designer, I'm trying to look further things beside design.
Daewoo student honorary ambassador offers me this chance to see tidal power plant.

But wait, is there any realation between tidal power plant and design?
well, I'll see.



This is a miniature of `Sihwaho tidal power plant.
It might seems mini, but it's the world's biggest tidal plant.



`Sihwaho' is a big artificial lake.
It took 6 years to be completed. (1988-1994)
People were planning to pull sea water into a lake, and use water for agricultural.
It didn't work out quite well.
Factory sewage and domestic sewage got into the lake, and caused water pollution.
So they changed the plan.



The new plan was building a tidal power plant.

Tidal power, sometimes also called tidal energy, is a form of hydropower that converts the energy of tides into electricity or other useful forms of power.
Although not yet widely used, tidal power has potential for future
electricity generation. Tides are more predictable than wind energy and solar power. Historically, tide mills have been used, both in Europe and on the Atlantic coast of North America. The earliest occurrences date from the Middle Ages, or even from Roman times.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click here to see How tidal power plants work.



So every visted student had to wear helmet.



I was very impressed the way they show visitors how they work.
They have this whole program for visitors.
They show their construction site and have a room for a short lecture.



This gentleman explained everything about Sihwawho tidal power plant.
He was quite funny! :D
Everyone who work for this plant are very proud of themselves. Which is really respecful.



Every ambassadors were really enthusiastic!
They took lots of pictures and ask many questions.
Most of them are major in architect but not everyone.
It was good to know many different students.
Seems like they enjoy this field trip :)



This is our group, group 3 'Who are we?' lol
One member missing, because of the surgery.
The very left tall guy is our group leader.

Then we went to a huge restaurant next to mud plat,
AND THERE WAS A HUGE ACCIDENT!
well, only for me.

I don't want to explain every detail.
I'll tell you one thing. It was about my tooth, and I had to come back and went to dentist.
So...Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy whole field trip.
Really sucks :(
I heard rest of them had a lot of fun that day.
But well, Shit happens.
Eventhough I was disappointed, I was very impressed at the same time.
Our chiefs really worried for me and took care of me really well.
I felt like we'd known for many years. Even my friends wouldn't treat me like that.
I felt so lucky to get to know people from Daewoo EnC and Brain league.
I can't thank them enough.

This was our very first field trip.
There's gonna be more and more.
And we are working on new project. We're making UCC!
Every group make UCC and compete for the prize.
I'll post about it soon. Sooooo exciting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment